Smartgenie.com & SmartGenie mobile app (“SmartGenie”) view and treat your Personal Data seriously.
By accessing our website and/or mobile app to provide its services, you hereby consent to the processing of your Personal Data (if so provided by you) in accordance to the terms of this Privacy & Personal Data Protection Policy by us and all persons involved in the provision of our services.
The “Personal Data” that you provide to us may include, inter alia, your name, contact details, address, email address, Computer Data (as defined hereinafter) national registration identification number or passport number, bank account information, income tax details, employment details and history including details present and part income, marital status, gender, nationality, personal preferences, children details, particulars of your spouse or family members, names of family members and how related including personal and contact details of relative, directorship in companies, shareholding in companies, assets and liabilities, financial status, ownership of property, involvement in legal proceedings including details of such legal proceeding, solvency [physical, mental health or condition, politic opinions, religion beliefs or other beliefs of a similar nature, commission or alleged commission of offence] and all other related information necessary and incidental to our service that have been or may be collected, stored, used and possessed by us from time to time.
SmartGenie protects your personal information by complying with the operative legislation concerning personal data protection in Malaysia, being the Personal Data Protection Act 2010 (“The Act”), which came into effect on 15th November 2013. This policy statement details how SmartGenie collects and uses your personal data, and informs you about the personal data protection measures we have put in place. When using our Service, you consent to the collection, transfer, manipulation, storage, disclosure and other uses of your information only as described in this Privacy and Personal Data Protection Policy.
Data that SmartGenie may collect:
Unless you are registered for online services from SmartGenie, you remain anonymous when you browse this website and/or mobile app. We do not collect personal information if you are only browsing this website and/or mobile app. In order to access our services, or process a transaction between you and a third party, we may request personal information such as your name, address, phone number, email address or I/C Number, and other information that renders you identifiable.
The list of Personal Data stated above is not exhaustive and may include other personal data depending on the nature of dealings or transaction. The request for these other personal data will be indicated on the relevant form that you need to fill in, depending on the nature of the dealings or transactions, and for which you would need to give consent to prior to us processing the same.
SmartGenie collects personal information from you only when you choose to register for and/ or use our services, for example, inter alia, during the process of applying for a financial product detailed on our website and/or mobile app. This personal information encompasses information communicated to us when you voluntarily complete an application form presented on our website and/or mobile app that makes it possible to identify you. By volunteering personal information, you undertake to communicate accurate information that does not prejudice the interest of any third parties.
How SmartGenie use your data:
Your Personal Data that SmartGenie collect allows us to process the necessary transaction in relation to our services that you have opted for. Upon giving us consent, we may collect, use , disclose and otherwise process your Personal Data for the following purposes, depending on the nature of our relationship with you:
- Refer you to the financial product(s), and/ or financial institutions (or their authorized representatives) specified by you while completing application forms on our website/app; and/or
- To enable you to access and use SmartGenie’s services; and/or
- To personalize and improve aspects of our overall service to you and our other users, as well as carrying out research such as analyzing market trends and customer demographics; and or
- To communicate with you, in order to verify the personal information provided, or to request any additional information that is vital to fulfilling the service you have applied for; and/or
- To send you information about products and services which we think may be of interest to you; and/or
- responding to your queries and requests; and responding to complaints; and/or
- managing the infrastructure and our business operations and complying with our internal policies and procedures; and/or
- verifying your identity; and/or
- protecting and enforcing our contractual and legal rights and obligations; and/or
- conducting audits, reviews and analysis of our internal processes, action planning and managing commercial risks; and/or
- complying with any applicable rules, laws and regulations, codes of practice or guidelines or to assist in law enforcement and investigations by relevant authorities; and/ or
- to optimize and customize your user experience with our website and chatbot; and/or
- to process your application for online subscription services; and/or
- to maintain your account with us; and/or
- to verify and process your personal details and payments in relation to provision of online subscription service to you; and/or
- to provide you with the services which you have signed up for; and/or
- to provide you the products which you have paid for; and/or
- to keep you posted on SmartGenie’s latest services or product announcements and upcoming events; and/or
- resolving complaints and handling requests and enquiries; and/or
- conducting market research for statistical, profiling and statistical analysis for the improvement of services provided to you; and/or
- to send important notices, emails, letters or short messaging service (SMS), like communications about purchases and changes to SmartGenie’s terms, conditions, and policies; and/or
- to share your Personal Data with third party providers for the purposes of (but not limited to) fulfillment of customer orders, processing and delivery of financial products to you; and/or
- for any of the purposes relating to the above.
All provision of personal data is on a voluntary basis. However, if you decide not to provide us with any of your personal data, we may not be able to provide you with the products / services requested, the same which may, under certain circumstances, affect our business relationship with you.
You hereby agree and understand that collection and processing of your Personal Data by SmartGenie is not limited to facilitating the purchase of a single financial product. The purpose of such collection and retention and otherwise processing of Personal Data is towards SmartGenie’s partnering/ assisting you in your financial journey. In order to assist you with other financial products in the future, we will retain your data even after the completion of the transaction. By filling in your Personal Data on our website and/or mobile app, you expressly consent for the retention of the same. If you do not wish to have your Personal Data on our website and/or mobile app, you may opt out by contacting our Privacy Officer indicated at the end of this Policy and Notice.
Impact Resulting from Failure to Supply Data
All provision of personal data is on a voluntary basis. However, failure to supply Personal Data may affect our ability to deliver optimised user experience service to our registered users. In addition, failure to provide certain essential Personal Data may result in us being unable to provide you with the services and/or products that you have opted for.
Disclosure of Personal Data
Personal Data provided to us will generally be kept confidential but you hereby consent and authorize us to provide or disclose your Personal Data to the following categories of parties:
- any person or authority to whom we are compelled or required to do so under law, court order or in response to a competent or government agency;
- any relevant financial institutions or banks that provide financial related products or services that are referred to them by us or that are featured on our website and/or mobile app;
- our business partners and online affiliates that provide the services that you have opted for or related services or products in connection with our website and/or mobile app including, but not limited to market research firms, third party marketing entities, entities engaged in the financial related services, telecommunications, technology and car industry;
- members of our Group companies and their affiliates;
- government agencies and industry regulators;
- our auditors, consultants, accountants, lawyers or other financial or professional advisers; and
- such sub-contractors or third party service or product providers as we may determine to be necessary or appropriate.
Retention of Personal Data:
Accessing Data and ensuring accuracy:
SmartGenie takes all reasonable steps to ensure that your information is accurate, complete, not misleading and kept up-to-date, consistent with the purposes for which the information was collected.
Keeping you informed:
You agree that we shall be entitled to advise you via email, post, telephone or by text of products, services and other offers we think may interest you.
Whenever you provide us with personal information, we will give you an opportunity to tell us you do not consent to us and others using and sharing your information for marketing purposes. Unless you tell us otherwise, you are deemed to consent to such uses.
Any electronic marketing communications we send you will include clear and concise instructions to follow should you wish to unsubscribe at any time.
- no longer wish to be contacted by us;
- wish to obtain further information on how to limit the processing of your personal data;
- wish to access or correct your personal data;
- have any further query; or
- wish to make a complaint in respect of your personal data,
you can advise us at any time by contacting SmartGenie’s Data Privacy Officer
Unit No 23-5, Level 23 Q Sentral,
Jalan Stesen Sentral 2,
50470 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +60 322 7647 74
You can also ask us at any time to stop passing your information to third parties for marketing purposes, which we will do.
Third party providers and data privacy:
Third Party Information provided:
In respect of personal data of third parties such as your spouse and/or any of your family members and/or the directors and/or shareholders of your company that you have provided to us, you warrant that you have obtained their consent allowing us to process their personal data and you will advise them to consult our Personal Data Protection Policy
Data Transfer & Sharing:
Where we consider it necessary or appropriate for the purposes of data storage or processing or providing any service or product on our behalf to you, we may transfer your Personal Data to another member of our Group companies or third party service or product providers within or outside the country in which we are established, under conditions of confidentiality and similar levels of security safeguards.
Collection of Computer Data not necessarily Personal Data:
When you visit SmartGenie, our servers will automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website. This information may include:
- Your device’s IP address
- Browser type
- GTM Event Tag
- Webpage you were visiting before you came to our website
- The pages within SmartGenie that you visit
- The time spent on those pages, products and information searched for on our site, access times and dates, and other statistics
This information is collected for analysis and evaluation in order to help us improve our website and products we provide. Said information may be used in association with any other Personal Data.
Website browsing & cookies:
A cookie is a very small text file placed on your computer. Cookies help us to:
- understand browsing habits on this Website;
- understand the number of visitors to this Website and the pages visited; and
- remember you when you return to this Website so we can provide you with a better browsing experience.
In order for SmartGenie to improve on the quality of its services and products as well as to customise user experience, we may track user behaviour on its websites by using “Cookies”.
Visiting Our Website and/or mobile app from Outside Malaysia:
In the event of any conflict between this English language SmartGenie Privacy and Personal Data Protection Policy Statement (the “Policy”) and its corresponding Bahasa Malaysia Policy, the terms in this English language Policy shall prevail.